Editors’ Council rejects allegations against media industry
“During the Awami League’s 15-year rule, editors and journalists faced various forms of persecution, harassment, and repression,” the council said.
The Editors’ Council has strongly protested “undesirable and sweeping allegations” made against the media industry at the National Youth Conference 2025, organised by the youth wing of the National Citizen Party (NCP) on the occasion of International Youth Day.
At the event, members of Jatiya Juboshakti, the youth wing of NCP, accused the media of “trying to malign those involved in the July uprising” and “acting as spokespersons for intelligence agencies, similar to the Sheikh Hasina regime.”
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Editors’ Council rejected these remarks, noting that most print media outlets had played a crucial role during last year’s student-people uprising.
“During the Awami League’s 15-year rule, editors and journalists faced various forms of persecution, harassment, and repression,” the council said.
It further pointed out that state atrocities, human rights violations, and the internet blackout during the uprising were fearlessly reported by the press, helping to bring critical issues to public attention.
“Most print media outlets provided bold, fact-based coverage that contributed significantly to public opinion in favor of the uprising - often at great personal risk to journalists,” the statement added.
Even under the current interim government led by Dr Muhammad Yunus, the Editors’ Council noted that print media continues to play a constructive role in building a democratic state, upholding the aspirations of the July uprising, and highlighting the government’s shortcomings.
Condemning the allegations made at the youth conference, the Editors’ Council called on all parties to make evidence-based, responsible statements when discussing the role of the media.